How to use UNIX commands in Windows 10:
- Download and install the latest version of Cygwin. (32-bit) or (64-bit)
- Follow the steps in this tutorial if you want detailed instructions about the installation. The installation takes a while, but it’s normal.
- After installation finishes, open your Advanced System Settings in the Control Panel.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Go to Environment Variables.
- In the second table labeled System Variables, find Path and click Edit.
- Scroll to the end of the Variable Value list and enter the path of your \cygwin\bin\ folder. Remember to close the previous path with a semicolon, so your path should look something like this: ;C:\cygwin\bin\
- Click OK and close all the windows.
- Open your Windows command prompt and type ls -l to test your installation.
- Yay! Now you can use UNIX commands within your command prompt.
I installed this today on my Windows 10 OS and had no problems. Feel free to leave a comment if you are getting errors and I’ll try to help.